Quite often, you find that until midnight you are not able to sleep at all and you are either staring at the ceiling or thinking about various other things like office work, family problems, or payment of your bills. To get rid of this situation you may be looking for sleeping tablets in UK. However, you should remember that it should be used only as a short-term measure. In case, your problem is chronic then it is advisable to contact any doctor instead of depending on sleeping pills.
As a matter of fact, sleeping pills are very effective if you are travelling across different time zone, or recovering from any medical treatments. Some time people also take sleeping pills during initial stages of insomnia. If you feel that you need to take sleeping pills too often then it is the right time to consult your doctor.
There is a concern that these pills are available over the counter. Initially, the idea of taking sleeping pill looks quite attractive as it can instantly solve your sleeping disorder. However, you must remember that sleeping pills in fact do not cure your insomnia and if you continuously depend on sleeping pills then your problem can get worse.
There are lots of concerns about the availability of these pills over the counter and some of them are as follows:
- Side effects – There can be plenty of side effects like confusion, drowsiness and forgetfulness etc
- Drug tolerance – If you regularly consume sleeping pills then your body will develop tolerance and you will need more pills to work, which will increase side effects
- Drug dependence – Eventually you will not get sleep without consuming any sleeping pills.
- Withdrawal symptoms – If you suddenly stop consuming these pills then you may get withdrawal symptoms like sweating, nausea or shaking.
- Drug interactions – these pills can interact with other medicines, which can worsen your case.
Side Effects of Sleeping Pills
Most of these sleeping pills have plenty of side effects, which depend upon the type of drug taken, their dosage consumed and the duration of consumption. Some of the very common side effects include –
- Muscle aches
- Dry mouth
- Trouble concentrating
- Daytime sleepiness
- Rebound insomnia.
Few Risks of Taking Sleeping Pills
There are few risks involved, if you consume sleeping pills without consulting the medical practitioners. Some of them are as follows:
- facial swelling
- severe allergic reaction
- memory lapses
- suicidal thoughts or actions
In case, you observe any unusual behavior then you must consult your doctor.
It is Better to Exercise Instead of Taking Sleeping Pills
Medical researchers have found out that you can get better sleep during night, if you do light exercise during the day. When we exercise our body temperature increases and hours later it again drops down, which can help us to fall asleep. The right time to exercise is during evening or late afternoon.