If for some reason you feel that you have been discriminated in your workplace, then you have the right to take help from the legal course, to take care of this issue. For this, you would need the help of an Employment Discrimination Lawyer. This article will help you understand what employment discrimination is and how your lawyer can help you in such cases.
What Is Employment Discrimination?
Under the federal law and the law in most states, it is prohibited that an employer treats their employees differently based on their race, gender, origin, color, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or genetic information., etc In case you ever face such discrimination in your place of work, the law says that you have the right to claim damages due to the discrimination.
However, you must remember that not all employers come under the anti-discrimination law and only those who have a minimum of 15-20 employees are mandatory under this rule. Some institutes and organizations are also exempted. So, before you start knocking the doors of the court, make sure that your employee and organization is not exempted from it.
How Does An Employment Discrimination Lawyer Help?
If you feel that you are being discriminated against by your employee, than you should talk to an employment lawyer immediately to evaluate your options. These lawyers have the knowledge and expertise to handle such cases and will help you get the best compensation possible under your case.
Before you start the search to find employment discrimination lawyers in Los Angeles, read what all to expect from them:
- The lawyer will hear you out and then figure out the state or federal law that has been violated by your employer. Based on the evidence that you will present to support your claim, the lawyer will assess the damages that you have suffered due to the discrimination.
- The lawyer will then tell you to prepare all the documents that you need to keep ready for the case and also help you in getting them organized. The documents could be emails, termination letter, performance evaluation or any such documents that can be used as evidence to prove that you have been discriminated against.
In addition to that you will also be asked to give documental evidence for the financial losses that you have incurred due to the discrimination or termination like medical bills, unpaid loans etc.
- The lawyer will ask you for a list of people who can give evidential support to your claim of discrimination.
- The lawyer will ask all the right questions to make you understand the damages that you have actually brought upon yourself due to the discrimination. This will ensure that you are asking for the right amount of compensation for the losses incurred.
- Once the lawyer has understood your case and also calculated the approximate amount of losses incurred by you, you will be suggested the right course of legal action. This could be like filing a complaint, a lawsuit or even mediation.
Once you have finalized the right course of action for your case, the lawyer will guide you through the entire process and help you make all the right decisions along the way. Your lawyer will also be there to give you the emotional and psychological support that you will need through the entire process.