Kuari pass, standing first in the list of Trekking destinations is one of the most breath-taking places of the Nanda Davi Sanctuary.
Here are some very interesting particulars about the trek to Kuari pass –
1. During the several Garhwal treks, Lord Curzon, the Viceroy of India also trekked Kuari Pass to Joshimath. It is this reason, Kuari pass is also known as Curzon’s trail and this trek is very famous and frequently visited by the American and European travellers.
2. Kuari pass lies in the Nanda Devi Sanctuary, which is situated at an altitude of approximately 7800 mt. Nanda Devi is the highest peak of Garhwal Himalayas. The peak is named after the Goddess of Himalayas of Garhwal. These Himalayan territories are categorised among one of the highest parks of Nandadevi National parks of the globe.
3. The other fascinating peaks of this region are Changbang, Rishipahar, Dunagiri, Kalanka, Mrigthuni, Bethatoli Hernal and, Trishul I and II. The place is rich in the wildlife that is habitat to monal pheasant, snow leopard, musk deer, and the rarely found Himalayan flora and butterflies.
4. Kuari, meaning “Doorway”, is a high mountain pass of the Himalayas in the Garhwal region. It lies to the south of the border of Tibet and to the west of the Biosphere Reserve of the Nanda Devi Sanctuary. The doorway lies in the Chamoli district.
5. If you look to the west of the Kuari pass, you would find the Kamet, Mana, and Abl Gamin summits. These summits are extending to the border of Tibet.
6. This five-day trek will take you places where you will yearn to visit again and again in your lifetime. On your way, you will be able to witness the stunning natural beauty of forests of rhododendron, spruce, oak, silver birch and hemlock. There are lush green meadows, snow-laden and sky-kissing peaks, flocks of goats and sheep for summers.
7. Rishi Ganga river merges with the Alaknanda river will be another attraction of trekking.
8. The perfect season to visit this place is the April and may as the green vegetation and the flowers of red rhododendron turn red in this blooming season.