A criminal defence lawyer makes the use of the information that he or she has studied in the law school and the tactics that he or she has learned from the experience of the cases. The defence attorney is responsible for defending the interest of the client. The perceptions that people might develop because of some movies or television dramas are often flawed. Hence, it is important that one should know exactly what the Criminal Defence Lawyer is supposed to do in a case that decides your exoneration or incarceration.
- In a criminal justice system, there are three components. The first is the jury and judge who evaluate each case as per the book of law and listen to the arguments from the prosecution and the defence lawyers. The prosecution and the defence counsel are the other two components of the criminal justice system.
- Each of these components have their distinctive role in the judgement system. The prosecution press the charges on the accused. They explain to the court the reasons that produced the event of crime and the consequences that were produced.
- The Criminal Defence lawyer defends his or her client from the allegations that are imposed by the prosecution. It is the responsibility of the defence attorney to represent the client with full determination and also adhere to the law.
- The defence lawyers argue on the behalf of their client who is accused of the charges. It is the duty of a Criminal Defence Lawyer identify the loopholes in the allegations made by the prosecutor. The defence attorney needs to scrutinise the background of each and every witness to produce a strong case for the client.
- The client can discuss the case in detail with his or her lawyer and make a confession that he or she is guilty. One can also assure the lawyer that they are innocent and not guilty and the attorney can decide further whether to take the case or not. Once the lawyer has agreed on handling the case they are bound by their promise. The lawyers are sworn to maintain the code of professional responsibility.
- The criminal lawyers who have a proven record of successfully defending the client’s command respect from the jury, judges and the prosecution. Experience is a factor that can draw the line between guilty and convicted or free of all the charges. Experienced lawyers are known to produce brilliant defence strategies to counter the allegations of the prosecutor.
- For an accused to be charged with a crime, the prosecutor must make it clear that there is no doubt that the defendant did commit the crime. Also, the charges that are pressed upon the defendant hold true.
The jury may not consider the statement made by the defendant. Nor would the jury be willing to hear the points that the defendant wants to bring into the light. However, the defendant may have the opportunity that is guaranteed by the civil rights. Under this, the defendant can argue for their cases.
Your defence lawyer can educate you about your rights and familiarize you with the procedures of the courtroom and the legal matters. The defence lawyers can get involved in the negotiations with the prosecution and the charges can be dropped. Examining the witness and coaching them for best results in the case is also one of the duties performed by the criminal defence lawyer.